Moveable homes likely to be demolished

Park Tenants

David Gardiner

Journalist

Email David
Last updated:
Sharon Bunker’s moveable home at the former Pinnacle Village is one of several that can’t be sold and will likely be demolished. Pic: Submitted

Most, if not all, of the 11 tenants who had to vacate the former Pinnacle Village Caravan Park at Wonga Beach have not been able to sell their relocatable dwellings and the structures will likely be demolished for scrap metal.

This is the sad outcome of the change of ownership and future use of the park – now called Daintree Beach Resort – as many of the former tenants will lose tens of thousands of dollars they invested in their humble homes.

One former tenant, Sharon Bunker, said she paid $55,000 to the former owners of her relocatable home and attached annexes, just weeks before the park changed hands, with no inkling that she would receive notice to vacate soon afterward.

The tenants have been given until January 25 to completely move all of their homes and belongings out of the park. But they have not been able to sell their relocatable dwellings.

Sharon told Newsport she widely advertised her home and even separate kitchen and fittings such as air-conditioners, and despite some interest, potential buyers didn’t follow through.

“Everybody’s trying to do the same thing and get some money back,” she said. “It’s a bit hard when there’s a whole handful of people that are trying to get money back.”

Despite her investment of $55,000-plus, Sharon knocked the price right down just to try to get some return.

“I started at $10,000 and I dropped it to $6,000, dropped it to $5,000, just trying to get something back. And I’m getting nothing. It’s a real kick in the guts.” 

 Alternative housing help

On the bright side though – thanks to help from the state housing dept through local MP Cynthia Lui, the 11 tenants, including two couples, have been able to find somewhere else to live permanently, or line up temporary accommodation.

A spokesperson for the Cairns Housing Service Centre said: “One couple advised staff that they were both working, looking at housing options in the private rental market, and did not require the department’s assistance at this stage.”

The spokesperson added that four customers have been able to secure private rental properties and that “all customers that the department engaged with have secured alternate accommodation and are no longer residing in the park.”

Resort manager’s response

Daintree Beach Resort’s general manager, Marco Gionfriddo responded to Newsport with an update a short time ago, saying the remaining tenants have not advised him as to when they will be leaving the park.

“I assume that by the 25th January, the remaining tenants and their belongings will be gone,” Mr Gionfriddo said.

“I have had little to no contact from the remaining tenants, however two of the tenants have requested a three day extension which was obviously agreed to.

“Another tenant requested a three month extension in order to sell their belongings, however they are not living on site - that was declined as we feel that sufficient time had already been provided,” he said.

“Any reasonable request has always been taken into consideration - yet 95 per cent of the tenants have not made any contact with me and have already moved and made plans with their belongings.”

 


Thank you!

Newsport thanks its advertising partners for their support in the delivery of daily community news to the Douglas Shire. Public interest journalism is a fundamental part of every community.



Got a news tip? Let us know! Send your news tips or submit a letter to the editor here.


* Comments are the opinions of readers and do not represent the views of Newsport, its staff or affiliates. Reader comments on Newsport are moderated before publication to promote valuable, civil, and healthy community debate. Visit our comment guidelines if your comment has not been approved for publication.